Volunteers are a vital part of T.J. Regional Health's mission to provide exceptional care to every patient every day.
Our volunteers spend countless hours answering phones, providing directions to visitors, delivering newspapers and gifts, and serving customers in the T.J. Gift Shop.
Because of their dedication, the volunteers are T.J. Champions who always put the needs of our patients and visitors first.
Volunteers receive a free meal in the T.J. Cafeteria during their work shift. The volunteer program is currently only available at T.J. Samson Community Hospital.
If you have a heart to volunteer, please contact the Gift Shop at 270.651.4191.
The auxiliary volunteer services at T.J. Samson Community Hospital formed in 1968 and became a charter with the Kentucky Hospital Association in 1969, thanks to the dedication of Ginnie Ruggles. And over 40 years later, our purpose remains the same: To render service to the hospital, patients, and visitors while assisting the hospital in promoting the health and welfare of the community in accordance with the objectives established by the institution.
The auxiliary volunteers participate in a wide range of activities, including:
- Escorting visitors
- Delivering patient mail
- Providing and distributing magazines and newspapers
- Presiding over information desks to help visitors with hospital information
- Working with a licensed stylist to arrange patient hair cuts, perms, or wash and sets
- Assisting in the gift shop
- Working at community blood drives
We also sponsor fundraising events throughout the year, with all of our profits benefiting the hospital, including:
- Hospital equipment, furnishings, and other needed items
- Scholarship for students and non-clinical employees interested in health care careers
Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and work a minimum of 50 hours each calendar year to be considered an active member.
We are actively seeking to expand our membership and to provide additional volunteer services. We need your gift of time and talents—are you ready to join us?
For further information or to arrange for an interview, please call 270.651.4191.
Operational development volunteers
As a volunteer, your mission is to assist staff, patients, family members, and visitors, in a way that makes use of your gifts. Some of the volunteer opportunities include:
- Greeter: Greet and escort people to their desired location
- Coffee Cart: Deliver complimentary coffee and teas
- Grounds Crew: Work outdoors, planting and cleaning
- Pillow Creations: Make pillows for cancer patients
- Office Assistance: Help with filing, organizing, photocopying, etc
- Nursing Stations: Assist staff on nursing units
- SNU Blooms: Help patients plant in flower pots, make flower arrangements, fill vases, etc
The role of a volunteer is one of compassion, support, and encouragement. We are always looking for new ways for our volunteers to serve—we welcome your ideas!