T.J. Regional Health offers bariatric surgery to help people struggling with severe obesity lose weight and become healthier. Learn more about our highly successful bariatric surgery program and take your first step toward a better life.
Attend our free bariatric surgery seminar
The best way to learn about our weight-loss solutions is to attend one of our free informational seminars, led by Dr. Patrick Klapheke. Bariatric seminars are held the first Monday of each month at 6 p.m. at the T.J. Health Pavilion Community Center in Glasgow.
You can also discover more about our bariatric surgery options here:
Bariatric surgery as a weight-loss solution can have many benefits for people with severe obesity. If you're a candidate for surgery, a weight-loss procedure could help you:
- Control a health condition. Obesity-related health problems such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure or heart disease can often be managed with fewer medicines after bariatric surgery.
- Enjoy fun activities again. People who lose weight are able to participate in more of their favorite pastimes with friends and family.
- Improve your self-esteem. We frequently hear from patients that losing weight has boosted their confidence and overall mood.
Our expert bariatric surgery team offers two types of weight-loss surgeries, which have high success rates:
Sleeve gastrectomy (inpatient operation). We remove a portion of the stomach so that less food can be consumed in one sitting. This surgery may also promote weight loss by reducing hunger hormones produced in the digestive tract. Patients typically experience a 60% weight decrease during the first year after a sleeve gastrectomy.
Gastric band (outpatient operation). We place an adjustable band around the top of the stomach. This makes the stomach smaller so that you feel full faster. The band can be adjusted through a port in the skin and removed, if needed. After receiving a gastric band, patients typically experience a 45% weight decrease during the first year.
Bariatric surgery is generally for people who need to lose a lot of weight to reduce their risk of obesity-related diseases, and who have found little to no success with traditional diet and exercise. You may be a candidate if you have:
- A body mass index (BMI) greater than 35. Use our calculator to learn your BMI.
- A serious, weight-related health problem, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure or sleep apnea.
- Attempted six consecutive months of weight-loss trials with your primary care provider to no avail.
To have bariatric surgery at T.J. Regional Health, you'll need to:
- Attend a bariatric surgery seminar.
- Start a six-month weight-loss program with your primary care provider, if you haven't already.
- Schedule a consultation with our bariatric surgeon.
During your consultation, our surgeon may also refer you to additional experts who will further evaluate your physical and mental health. It's all part of how we ensure the most successful surgery possible.