At T.J. Regional Health, you don't have to go far to receive first-rate cancer care. We have the latest technologies, an expert team that treats you like family, and a medical partnership that gives you access to clinical trials with some of the best specialists in the state.
Commission on Cancer accreditation
Our Oncology Department has earned a Commission on Cancer accreditation, thanks to our comprehensive care program. This means we're highly involved in your cancer care, from diagnosis through your following years as a survivor.
Proud partner with UK Markey Cancer Center
We're a proud member of the University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center Affiliate Network, which gives our patients expanded access to genetic counseling and clinical trials without having to travel out of state. It also allows our doctors to stay in close communication with specialists conducting cutting-edge research.
Our talented team includes our oncologist, plus certified oncology nurses, social workers and an oncology nurse navigator who works one-on-one with you from diagnosis through treatment. Together they treat most types of cancer, including breast, colon, lung, prostate and lymphoma.
We offer traditional chemotherapy, as well as advanced targeted chemotherapy, immunotherapy and hormonal therapies. Our state-of-the-art outpatient infusion center features eight semiprivate treatment bays, so your family can be with you during treatment. We also offer an on-site pharmacy for mixing chemotherapy medications.
Our patients also have access to state-of-the-art radiation therapy, thanks to our partnership with Barren River Regional Cancer Center located across the street from T.J. Samson Community Hospital. The Cancer Center is home to advanced technology and treatments, such as:
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT). This sophisticated planning tool lets doctors treat cancer with precision while sparing healthy tissues.
- A high-tech linear accelerator that reduces treatment times for patients.
- Cutting-edge diagnostic imaging equipment, such as PET (positron emission tomography) and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scans and 4D CT (computed tomography) technology.
- SaBR/SBRT, also known as stereotactic ablative radiotherapy or stereotactic body radiation therapy.
Total cancer care
At T.J. Regional Health, we're here for you whenever you need us—whether it's to answer questions about your treatment options or just to listen. In short, we'll work hard to meet your physical, emotional and spiritual needs.
Here are a few of the ways we make that happen:
- Cancer distress screening. On top of coping with cancer, you may have a job to do, child care to manage and bills to pay. We use a national stress-scoring tool to evaluate new patients. This helps us identify and address any physical or emotional distress you're experiencing.
- Cancer support group. We have a cancer support group that meets quarterly. Our knowledgeable team also can connect you with support groups in surrounding communities, as well as state and national cancer resources.
- Palliative care specialists to improve pain, nausea or other side effects of cancer and its treatments.
- Survivorship program. Our survivorship program helps you thrive after your treatment ends and deal with any side effects.
Throughout the year we participate in numerous community events that benefit cancer patients and caregivers. These include lunch-and-learn sessions, Colon Cancer Awareness Month and the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life. Breast Cancer Awareness Month activities include Mamm's Day Out and Pink Power Hour.