Few things more special than a baby's arrival. That's why we're genuinely honored to deliver more than 1,200 babies annually at T.J. Samson Community Hospital. Let us tell you more about the ways we care for new babies and mothers.
Sign up for a birthing center tour
We'd love to give you a tour of our birthing center at T.J. Samson Community Hospital. Call 270.659.5919 to schedule your tour.
Whether you deliver vaginally or require a cesarean section, we're committed to seeing that every birth is as joyful as it is safe. Here are some of the reasons our birthing center stands out:
- Personalized birth plans. We take the time to learn about you and the birth you hope for—and then we help you put this plan in writing so that the doctors and nurses are aware of your preferences.
- Private rooms. We have spacious, private rooms for your delivery and postpartum recovery. Our suites include an adjoining room with a sleeper sofa, a private bathroom, a television, and additional space for your support person and family members.
- Kangaroo (skin-to-skin) care. Research shows that skin-to-skin contact benefits both moms and newborns immediately after delivery. Shortly after birth, we'll place your baby directly on your bare chest. Your baby will hear your heartbeat and voice, feel your touch and be warmed by your body temperature. It's a wonderful introduction for mother and child.
- Rooming in. Moms and babies belong together. We encourage you to room with your brand-new family member throughout your stay. This helps you learn your baby's feeding cues and to bond with each other. It also makes breastfeeding easier.
- Neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). Should a complication arise, we have the facilities necessary to care for most babies without transferring them to another hospital far from home. Learn more about our level 2 NICU.
Our obstetricians are all board certified, highly skilled and caring. The registered nurses who will watch over you and your baby have advanced training in delivery, maternity and newborn care.
We also encourage every mom to work with our obstetric nurse navigator. This very special member of our team meets with pregnant mothers one-on-one during each trimester to help them learn how their body and baby are changing.
Breast milk is the perfect first food—it helps give your baby a healthy start in life. Our certified lactation consultants help new moms master breastfeeding after delivery and are available for appointments should questions arise after you are home.
T.J. Samson Community Hospital began a donor milk program in 2018 to ensure optimal nutrition standards, while supporting growth and improving outcomes for infants born at the hospital.
The American Academy of Pediatrics states that, "If mother's own milk is unavailable despite significant lactation support, pasteurized donor milk should be used."
We had 92 babies participate in the donor milk program in 2018 and 90 in 2019. If your baby needs donor milk, we will help you enroll in the program.
We offer a variety of classes to help you prepare for your new bundle of joy. Classes include:
- Newborn care
- Baby safety
- Introduction to parenting
Call 270.659.5919 to learn more and register for classes.
Friends and families visiting postpartum suites are welcome daily from 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. To ensure moms and babies get optimal care and recovery, we limit the number of visitors to four at a time, not counting their support person.
The annual Baby Safety Shower is an educational event designed to inform new and expectant parents about different aspects of health and safety concerning their newborn. This event is for parents of children under 6 months of age and for expectant mothers and features door prizes and a wealth of information.